Thursday, December 29, 2011

The Fenway - by Jonathan Richman




The Fenway - by Jonathan Richman

Now I was born by the Fenway,
in Beth Israel Hospital.
Could that help to explain why I love the Fenway so well.
Nowhere do I feel more at home, it seems,
Then on the Fenway, where I dreamed my dreams.

Well I was small, they took us to old Mechanics Hall.
We got to see the Mighty Ted Williams,
Put one over the right field wall.
All that nostalgia comes out every day, you see,
On the Fenway where I've dreamed dreams.

Sometimes it rains, and then it is just damp and cold.
Sometimes I've roamed, its little paths when I've felt old.
Now smell the air, and you'll smell exhaust fumes everywhere.
Cause the place is just too narrow not to be bothered by them there.

But there's silence to the place when you stand there in the sun.
And there's an echo from an era that's already past and gone.
And there is silence in the Gardener Museum.
Where's that?
It's on the Fenway where I've dreamed my dreams.

Well after all.
Clap your hands.

And there's a silence to that place as you stand there in the sun,
and there's also this haunting silent sorrow,
Cause the glory days have gone.
And there is silence in the Gardener Museum.
Where's that?
Well, it's on the Fenway, as you know, where I've dreamed my dreams.
Boston's Fenway, where I've dreamed my dreams.

NOTE ... I love this song and it's very meaningful to me. But I'm pretty sure these aren't the real lyrics, as online lyrics often aren't, due to - well, I don't know what. I'll find the tune and transcribe the actual words.

Image ... Looking up the Muddy River running through the Fenway.

No comments:

Post a Comment