Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Allan Rohan Crite | Streetscape . 1





Allan Rohan Crite's townhouse at 410 Columbus Avenue in Boston has been boarded up and appeared abandoned ever since I can remember. But a few weeks ago scaffolding, a demolition chute, dumpster and building permits suddenly appeared. The artists's former digs, studio and gallery are being renovated to the standards of the million dollar South End. Now, before the paint dries, might be a good time to take a fresh look at this painter who so lovingly portrayed the black community.


I've only done one piece of work in my whole life and I am still at it.

I wanted to paint people of color as normal humans.

I tell the story of man through the black figure.




Image ... Marble Players. Allan Rohan Crite, 1938.

No comments:

Post a Comment